Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Michaela Janae Whitaker





Goodbye Summer.
Well, we walked in the pouring rain to our internet kavé, this morning. I think the end of summer is coming to a close, by the weather and by the number of kids complaining about going back to school.
I can't believe it's the first of September! Time goes by so quickly, that's for sure!
This week was really good in Pápa. We had the opportunity, on Saturday, to accompany one of the members at her work place to participate in a cooking contest to represent our church. More specific, it was a pörkölt cooking contest. We get there and the senior sisters are already chopping up paprika peppers, they were waiting for the Elders to get there so they could start chopping up wood for the fire. Something that I found was really interesting is how creative and innovative the Hungarians are. For the "fire pit" they used old tire rims, like I would have never thought about that in a million years in America. Maybe, I am just not that creative but  I thought that was awesome. Working at a Scout Camp for three years came in handy on my mission, who knew? Not going to lie, they needed help cutting the wood, so I took it upon myself to take the little hand axe and help them (Where is my best friend-- shout out to Emily Sorensen). We got the fire started and put a liter of pure fat in the dutch oven, luckily we put all of it in the dutch oven, so there wasn' t any to put on the bread. That's what they do here is put fat on bread and put some onions on top, some paprika and they call that lunch. I shouldn't judge it if I haven't tried it, but in my mind it doesn't seem that appetizing, but Hungarians love it and Hungarians make the best food, so I think they know what is good and what isn't. Anyhow, we put the fat in, and added the meat and water and just let it cook above the fire. It ended up being really yummy!!
There were tons of groups who cooked pörkölt. It was actually a charity event, where people could come around and taste your pörkölt for 400 forint (about $2). I asked one of the ladies who was in charge of the event, where the money was going and she said, "to whoever needs help in the world...wherever they are...America, Africa, anywhere." I was just sooo blown away. Hungarians are the most charitable people in the world, they don't have a lot, but they give everything to other people who need it more than they do. I am just so inspired by the Hungarian people, everyday. I don't know if I came to Hungary to help them, or so that they could help me. I'm sure both, but I feel like they have taught me so much more than I have taught them.
My mission has been great, I am praying for all of you and wish you all good health and sucess in whatever you pursue (Is that cheesy or what?)
Whitaker Nővér

No comments:

Post a Comment