Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Michaela Janae Whitaker




Happy Monday!
I don't have much time to write because today is not really our "official" P-Day. Yes, it's Monday and No, I'm not breaking any rules, but our P-Day this week is actually on Thursday because it's St. Stephen's Day, which is a public holiday here in Hungary celebrating the foundation of the Hungarian state 1000 years ago. It's pretty much a big deal and the WHOLE country of Hungary will be partying...besides the missionaries. No, it will be a party for us too.
We did receive permission to email today for an hour, and get groceries for an hour, but then we are to go to work.
This week was good, although half of the week I was not even in Pápa. In the beginning of the week, we had a few programs. One of which was with Sándor, an investigator of the church, he invited us over and said that he was going to feed us...well it turned out that we got there and he said "Okay, are you girls ready to cook? " It was really funny because we literally started from scratch so about two hours later we finally finished. We sat down to eat and Sándor says " I'll be right back." He goes into another room and then all of a sudden we hear a door close, then silence. We soon realized that he had left, and there were just three girls chilling in his house...alone. It was five minutes later that he came back with a bag full of bread that he had bought from a kis bolt down the street.We just cracked up laughing though because he just left us in his house, not like we would do anything, but it showed that he trusts the missionaries, which is always good! That was funny!

 We went to Győr for Zone training, which is always a blast to reconnect with all of the other missionares. I got to talk to the missionaries who are still serving in Sopron and hear how the work is going there. It's booming, if anybody was curious! It was nice to see the Browns again, they are so sweet. It was just a good opportunity to see everyone again. The training was really good too. We learned about the importance of asking good questions and I found out that more often than not, I have been asking ineffective questions to the people who I teach, which is totally contrary to our purpose as missionaries. We want to be effective and in order to be effective we need to ask effective questions at the appropriate time.
After Zone training we ran down to Budapest, because our dear greenie, VanDenBerghe Nővér had new missionary training. While she did that, Kovács Nővér and I went on splits with the Buda Sisters. It went really well. We had a few programs, which actually took a while to get to. That was a different experience for me, having to travel an hour to get to a program, because up until then I always just walked to the programs. It was good though. I had a really good time.
Saturday, we had interviews with President Smith, they went well. I got a lot of good advice as to how I can improve and become a better missionary. I really am so grateful for President Smith and his wife. They are such blessings to this mission. Really. They bring a sweet spirit wherever they go, and it's just always a pleasure to be around them.
Sunday was Kovács Nővér birthday! We had a blast. We went to church, which is always a spiritual feast! Then afterwards we went to Kovács relatives house. Since Kovács Nővér is a native to Hungary she has a lot of family all over the country and there just happens to be a lot of her family, here in Pápa and they fed us...twice yesterday! Can you say finom? Which means yummy in Hungarian! It was soooo good! By the end of the day, I could barely walk back to our apartment, but it was totally worth it! Oh, and yesterday. I saw the biggest cake of my life! This thing was huge. They measured it and it was 38 cm in diameter! It was pretty dang good too! Anyways, I think its safe to say that Kovács Nővér had a good birthday.
This week has been full of blessings and I am always humbled to be here in Hungary. Theres no where else Id rather be, honestly. I love Hungary and the people who I come in contact with every day.

I hope all is well with all of you and I wish you all the greatest week ever!
Sok szeretettel,
Whitaker Nővér

No comments:

Post a Comment