Friday, May 9, 2014

Michaela Janae Whitaker

1:31 PM (19 hours ago)


to me, Connie
I swear (Not really, I'm a missionary) that the weeks here at the MTC just get better and better. I really don't know how next week could be better than the prior weeks I've had at the MTC. 
This week, Elder Holland came to the MTC and spoke to us! I absolutely love Elder Holland. Prior to my mission I always thought of Elder Holland as my "favorite," but with all the apostles that have came within the last month, I no longer have a "favorite." I love all of them, with all my heart. 

-----> Elder Holland spoke about our purpose as a missionary. "Invite others to come unto Christ, by helping them receive the restored gospel through Faith in Jesus Christ and his Atonement, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost and Enduring to the End." He emphasized the importance of acting in no hypocrisy. Something that he said that really stuck out to me was in the beginning of his talk. He said, " We invite others to come unto Christ. What does invite mean...It means that we will not take anybody where we are not." I loved this because we as missionaries tell people to "turn to Christ, read the scriptures, pray, go to church, repent, etc." but what good does that do if we have not done all of these things for ourselves. We teach all of these things, but what good is a hypocrite? These people need good examples, not hypocrites. I made the choice to live what I teach so that others can look at me as an example, and a friend.
Another thing Elder Holland spoke of was the importance of life after the mission. Elder Holland does not dislike anything more than an RM falling away from the church. He said "you will not fall back into your old life, because your old life doesn't exist. You have been preaching the gospel every day for the last year and a half/ two years... THIS IS LIFE NOW!" I love how Elder Holland expresses himself. We definitely got to see a different side to him, than what we see at General Conference. He is a lot more open and expressive in his words. Another funny thing he said was, "If you are not the best missionaries you can be, I'll come find you and knee you in the throat... I'm not above anything." The whole congregation got a real good laugh out of that. 
I could go on and on and and on about what I liked about his talk. I only took five pages of notes, which is about how many pages I write on during one session of General conference. That's saying something! Anyways, we are so lucky to be at the MTC right now. 

After the devotional, my companion and roommates were walking outside along the sidewalk and here comes Elder Holland in his fancy car, he stops, rolls down his window and talks directly to all of us who were standing there. He just said, "You missionaries be good and waved to us." But still, that is still really cool and much more than a lot of other people get to experience in their life. Afterward, a Branch President came up to us and said "You know you've been here for the record number of apostles that have came to the MTC in a given time." That was really cool to hear too! I don't know if it's because we need it or that they just love us so much, that they come. I'm thinking its the latter. 
My Branch President's mission President was Elder Ballard and so he has connections with him. Yesterday our Branch President said that we will have another "wild and ferocious" devotional this coming Tuesday too, so my companion and I think it might be Elder Ballard. How cool would that be. Six apostles within a month, pretty much. That's like half! Plus, all the ones I've seen at BYU. I love my life (:

That was the highlight of the week and mostly what I wanted to talk about! 

One last thing, this week is consecration week and our teachers encouraged us to give up something to consecrate our week to the Lord. I chose to give up writing/reading letters. Instead I will be writing letters to my Heavenly Father for everything I'm grateful for in my life. 
You all may still write me letters, but just know that I won't read them or be able to respond to them until next Thursday.
Wow, by the time consecration week is over I'll only have four days until I go to Hungary. Ah! I am so excited! I've been ready since the first week (don't get me wrong, I love the MTC) but I just want to meet and teach the Magyar people!

Mother's Day is coming up and I want to say Happy Mother's Day to all the hard-working mothers out there. I am so thankful for my mom and don't know what I would do without her. I am SO glad and excited I get to talk to her on Sunday.

Anyways, I hope all of you have a wonderful week! God be with you 'til we speak again!

Sok Szerettét (Lots of Love)
Whitaker Növér

No comments:

Post a Comment